Greater Colombo Wastewater Management Project
The Ministry of Local Government and Provincial Council commenced the Greater Colombo Waste Water Management Project (GCWMP) in 2010. The GCWMP is planned to improve the wastewater management services those are delivered to the urban and suburban residents of Colombo. The project is targets to serve approximately 838,000 people through an improved wastewater management service, and the project will improve the living environment of 2.5 million people of Colombo. The project is designed to:
- upgrade the sewerage infrastructure
- strengthen institutional and operational capacity
- support the project management and implementation
- Improved wastewater management services, better urban environment.
- Better public health including living conditions for residents in the Colombo City and suburbs,
- Improved marine and inland water quality